What Background Music Do YouTubers Use
Published: October 29, 2023
Discover the perfect background music for your YouTube videos. Learn what music top YouTubers use to enhance their content and engage their audience.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for AudioLover.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Background music plays a crucial role in creating a captivating and immersive experience for viewers of YouTube videos. Whether you’re a vlogger, a gamer, or a professional content creator, choosing the right background music can greatly enhance the impact of your videos.
When used effectively, background music can set the mood, evoke emotions, and reinforce the overall message of your content. It can make your videos more engaging, transforming them from simple recordings into dynamic visual experiences.
In this article, we will explore the significance of background music for YouTubers and discuss the different types of music commonly used in YouTube videos. We will also provide insights on choosing the right background music for your videos and share some tips for incorporating it seamlessly into your content.
Furthermore, we will delve into copyright considerations and explore the world of royalty-free music options that YouTubers can utilize without worrying about infringing on other artists’ intellectual property.
So, whether you’re a seasoned YouTuber or just starting your journey on the platform, join us as we explore the wonderful world of background music and discover how it can elevate the quality and impact of your YouTube videos.
Why Background Music Matters for YouTubers
Background music is a powerful tool that can enhance the viewer’s experience and make your YouTube videos more engaging and memorable. Here are a few reasons why background music matters for YouTubers:
- Setting the Mood: Background music can help set the tone and mood of your videos. Whether you want to create an upbeat and energetic atmosphere or evoke a sense of calm and relaxation, the right choice of music can instantly transport your viewers into the desired emotional state.
- Enhancing Storytelling: Music has the ability to bring your story to life. It can heighten the impact of key moments, build suspense, or evoke empathy in your viewers. By carefully selecting and timing the music in your videos, you can create a more immersive storytelling experience that captures and holds the attention of your audience.
- Increasing Engagement: Background music can help captivate your viewers and keep them engaged throughout the video. It adds an extra layer of entertainment and enjoyment, making your content more accessible and appealing to a wider range of viewers.
- Adding Professionalism: Well-chosen background music can elevate the overall production value of your YouTube videos. It gives your content a polished and professional touch, making it stand out from the crowd and leaving a lasting impression on your audience.
- Improving Retention and Subscribers: Engaging background music can enhance the viewing experience and increase viewer retention. When your audience enjoys the experience of watching your videos, they are more likely to stay longer, watch more of your content, and potentially subscribe to your channel.
Whether you’re creating vlogs, tutorials, gaming videos, or any other type of content, carefully selecting and incorporating background music can have a significant impact on the success of your YouTube channel. It creates a more immersive and enjoyable experience for your viewers, ultimately helping you build a loyal audience and stand out in the highly competitive YouTube platform.
Types of Background Music Used by YouTubers
YouTubers can choose from a wide range of background music options to enhance their videos. Let’s explore some of the most commonly used types of background music:
- Instrumental: Instrumental music is a popular choice for background music in YouTube videos. It is music that is composed without vocals, allowing it to provide a pleasant and non-distracting backdrop to the visuals and narration of your content. Instrumental music can range from classical and orchestral compositions to modern electronic or acoustic tracks.
- Upbeat and Energetic: Many YouTubers opt for upbeat and energetic music to bring an uplifting and dynamic feel to their videos. This type of music often features catchy melodies, lively rhythms, and positive vibes that can create an enthusiastic and lively atmosphere. It is commonly used in travel vlogs, adventure videos, and content that aims to inspire and uplift the viewers.
- Ambient and Atmospheric: Ambient and atmospheric music is characterized by its immersive and atmospheric qualities. It often includes soft and soothing melodies, ethereal sounds, and gentle rhythms. This type of music is often used in relaxation videos, meditation tutorials, or to create a calm and tranquil atmosphere in various types of content.
- Corporate and Inspirational: Corporate and inspirational music is often employed in business-related content, presentations, and motivational videos. It typically consists of uplifting melodies, motivational lyrics (if vocals are present), and a sense of determination and triumph. This type of music can help convey professionalism, inspire viewers, and add a motivational element to your videos.
- Cinematic and Dramatic: Cinematic and dramatic music is commonly used to create a theatrical and emotional impact in YouTube videos. It often includes sweeping orchestral compositions, powerful arrangements, and intense melodies. This type of music is perfect for storytelling videos, dramatic scenes, and content that aims to evoke strong emotions in the viewers.
Ultimately, the choice of background music will depend on the tone, mood, and purpose of your videos. Consider the overall message and atmosphere you want to convey, and select music that complements and enhances your content effectively. Experiment with different genres and styles to find the perfect match for your YouTube videos.
Popular Genres of Background Music
When it comes to selecting background music for YouTube videos, there are several popular genres that YouTubers frequently choose from. Let’s take a closer look at some of these genres:
- Pop: Pop music is a genre characterized by catchy melodies, upbeat rhythms, and mainstream appeal. It is versatile and can be used in a wide range of YouTube videos, from vlogs to lifestyle content. Pop music often features vocals, making it an excellent choice if you want to incorporate a lyrical element into your videos.
- Electronic: Electronic music is known for its energetic and electronically produced sounds. It can range from high-energy techno and trance to more ambient and chill-out vibes. Electronic music is perfect for gaming videos, tech reviews, and content that requires a modern and futuristic feel.
- Hip-Hop/Rap: Hip-hop and rap music are characterized by their rhythmic beats, spoken lyrics, and urban culture influences. This genre is popular for vlogs, fashion videos, and channels focused on urban lifestyles. Hip-hop and rap music can add a unique and stylish element to your YouTube videos.
- Rock: Rock music is characterized by its guitar-driven sound and energetic rhythms. It can range from classic rock to alternative and indie rock. Rock music is often used in action-packed videos, sports content, and videos that require a high-energy soundtrack.
- Folk/Acoustic: Folk and acoustic music are known for their organic and heartfelt qualities. They often feature acoustic guitar, gentle melodies, and introspective lyrics. This genre is popular for vlogs, travel videos, and content that aims to create a warm and intimate atmosphere.
These are just a few examples of popular genres of background music, and there are many more to explore. Remember that the genre of music you choose should align with the theme and mood of your videos, as well as resonate with your target audience. Experiment with different genres and find the ones that best complement your content and create the desired impact.
Royalty-Free Music Options for YouTubers
One of the main concerns for YouTubers when it comes to using background music is copyright infringement. To avoid legal issues and ensure that you have the right to use the music in your videos, it is recommended to use royalty-free music. Here are some popular royalty-free music options for YouTubers:
- YouTube Audio Library: The YouTube Audio Library offers a vast collection of royalty-free music that YouTubers can use in their videos. It provides a wide variety of genres, moods, and instrumental tracks to suit different types of content. You can access the YouTube Audio Library directly from your YouTube account and easily download and incorporate the music into your videos.
- Stock Music Libraries: There are several stock music libraries available online, where you can license royalty-free music for use in your YouTube videos. These libraries offer a wide range of music options, including different genres and styles. Some popular stock music libraries include Epidemic Sound, AudioJungle, and Artlist.
- Creative Commons Licensed Music: Creative Commons is a licensing system that allows artists to share their work while retaining certain rights. Through platforms like Creative Commons, artists offer their music for free use or under specific conditions, such as providing credit to the creator. Websites like FreeMusicArchive and Jamendo offer a wide selection of Creative Commons licensed music that YouTubers can utilize.
- Self-Produced Music: If you have the skills and resources, you can create your own background music for your YouTube videos. By composing and recording your own music, you have complete control over copyright and can customize the sound to perfectly match your content. This option gives your videos a unique touch and ensures that you have exclusive rights to the music.
When using royalty-free music, it’s important to read and understand the specific licensing terms and requirements. Some music may require attribution, meaning you need to credit the artist in your video description or end credits. Additionally, pay attention to any restrictions on the usage of the music, such as the number of views or the platforms on which you can use it.
By utilizing these royalty-free music options, you can enhance your videos with high-quality music without worrying about copyright issues. It allows you to add a professional and engaging element to your content, captivating your audience and keeping them coming back for more.
How to Choose the Right Background Music for Your YouTube Videos
Choosing the right background music can greatly enhance the impact of your YouTube videos. Here are some tips to help you select the perfect music:
- Consider the Mood: Think about the mood and atmosphere you want to create in your videos. Are you aiming for a relaxed and soothing tone or a more energetic and upbeat vibe? Consider the emotions you want to evoke in your audience and select music that aligns with that mood.
- Match the Genre: Ensure that the background music matches the genre and style of your content. If you create travel vlogs, consider using upbeat and tropical music. If you make gaming videos, choose energetic and fast-paced tracks. The music should enhance and complement the visuals and overall theme of your videos.
- Avoid Distracting Elements: While the background music should add to the overall experience, it should not overpower or distract from the main focus of your videos. Avoid music with overly complex melodies or vocals that may compete with the narration or dialogue in your content.
- Listen for Seamless Looping: If you plan to loop the background music in your videos, make sure the track has a seamless loop that doesn’t have any noticeable interruptions or transitions. This will ensure a smooth playback experience and a consistent sound throughout your video.
- Consider the Length: Pay attention to the duration of the background music and ensure it matches the length of your video. If your video is short, choose a track that doesn’t exceed the duration to avoid abrupt endings. If your video is longer, make sure the music won’t become repetitive or monotonous for extended periods.
- Test and Fine-Tune: Try out different music options and experiment with how they fit into your videos. Pay attention to the viewer’s reaction and feedback. Fine-tune the volume levels to ensure the music enhances the video without overpowering the other audio elements.
Remember, the right background music should enhance the overall viewing experience of your YouTube videos. It should create an emotional connection with your audience, reinforce your storytelling, and add a professional touch to your content. Take the time to explore different options and find the music that perfectly complements and elevates your videos.
Tips for Incorporating Background Music in Your Videos
When incorporating background music into your YouTube videos, it’s important to do so in a way that enhances the overall viewing experience and complements your content. Here are some tips to help you effectively integrate background music into your videos:
- Choose the Right Moments: Select key moments in your video where the background music can have the most impact. This could be during an emotional scene, an action sequence, or when transitioning between different segments of your video. The music should enhance the mood and support the narrative of your content.
- Pay Attention to Volume Levels: Ensure that the volume of the background music is balanced with other audio elements in your video, such as narration or dialogue. You want the music to be present and noticeable, but not overpowering. Adjust the volume levels during editing to strike the right balance.
- Use Music to Create Transitions: Background music can be effective in creating smooth transitions between different scenes or segments in your video. By fading the music in and out, you can create a seamless flow and enhance the overall cinematic feel of your content.
- Consider Dynamic Changes: In some cases, you may want to dynamically change the intensity or volume of the background music to match the visuals or the emotions you want to convey. This can help create a more engaging and immersive experience for your viewers.
- Avoid Copyright Infringement: Ensure that the background music you use is copyright-free or properly licensed. Using copyrighted music without permission can lead to penalties or having your videos taken down. Stick to royalty-free music options to avoid any legal complications.
- Don’t Let the Music Distract: While music can enhance your videos, it should not distract from the main focus. Ensure that the music remains in the background and supports your content without pulling attention away from the visuals or narration.
Remember to experiment and find the best ways to incorporate background music into your videos. Continually listen to feedback from your viewers and make adjustments as needed. When done right, background music can greatly enhance the overall viewing experience and make your YouTube videos more engaging and memorable.
Copyright Considerations for Using Background Music on YouTube
When using background music in your YouTube videos, it’s crucial to understand and respect copyright laws to avoid any potential legal issues. Here are some important copyright considerations to keep in mind:
- Originality and Ownership: Ensure that the background music you use is original and not copyrighted by someone else. Using copyrighted music without permission can result in copyright infringement claims, content takedowns, or even legal action. Stick to royalty-free music or obtain proper licensing for copyrighted tracks.
- Royalty-Free Music: Royalty-free music is a popular choice for YouTubers as it allows for legal and hassle-free use in their videos. Many platforms offer royalty-free music libraries where you can find music that is cleared for use, typically through a one-time licensing fee.
- Creative Commons Licensing: Creative Commons licenses can also provide options for using background music legally. These licenses allow artists to share their work under specific conditions, which may include providing attribution or using the music solely for non-commercial purposes. Familiarize yourself with the specific terms of the Creative Commons licenses and comply accordingly.
- Music Licensing: If you have a specific copyrighted song in mind for your video, you can consider obtaining a license to use it legally. Music licensing platforms and services provide options for securing the necessary rights to use copyrighted music in your videos, typically through a fee or royalty arrangement.
- YouTube’s Content ID System: YouTube has a robust Content ID system that automatically scans uploaded videos for copyrighted content. If your video contains copyrighted music, you may receive a copyright claim or have your video muted or blocked in certain regions. Be aware of the consequences of using copyrighted music without proper permission.
- Attribution and Credits: When using Creative Commons-licensed music or royalty-free tracks that require attribution, make sure to credit the artist properly. Include the necessary information in the video description or end credits, following the requirements specified by the license.
Prioritize legal and ethical use of background music in your YouTube videos to protect yourself and your content. Always read and understand the licensing terms and conditions of the music you choose, and be mindful of any restrictions or limitations. By using royalty-free music or obtaining the necessary licenses, you can enjoy the benefits of high-quality music in your videos while respecting the rights of the original artists.
Background music is a powerful tool that can greatly enhance the quality and impact of your YouTube videos. By carefully selecting the right music, you can set the mood, evoke emotions, and create a more immersive viewing experience. Whether you’re a vlogger, gamer, or content creator in any other niche, background music plays a significant role in captivating your audience and keeping them engaged.
When using background music, it’s important to consider copyright laws and ensure that you have the proper permissions or licenses. Royalty-free music options, such as those available through the YouTube Audio Library or stock music libraries, provide a convenient and legal way to incorporate high-quality music into your videos. Additionally, Creative Commons licensed music can offer a variety of options for free or low-cost use, as long as you adhere to the specified conditions.
Remember to consider the mood, genre, and timing of the background music to suit your video’s theme and content. Finding the right balance between music and other audio elements is crucial, as the music should enhance the viewing experience without overpowering or distracting from the main focus of your videos.
By following these considerations and tips, you can effectively incorporate background music into your YouTube videos and elevate the overall production value. Engaging background music will not only create a more enjoyable experience for your viewers but also help you stand out in the competitive landscape of YouTube, attract more subscribers, and build a loyal audience base.
So, take the time to explore different genres, experiment with different tracks, and find the perfect background music that resonates with your content and enhances the overall emotional impact of your videos. With the right music, you can take your YouTube channel to new heights and leave a lasting impression on your viewers.