How To Find Background Music In YouTube Video
Modified: January 25, 2024
Learn how to find the perfect background music for your YouTube videos to enhance viewer engagement and create a memorable experience.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for AudioLover.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
When watching a YouTube video, have you ever noticed how the addition of background music enhances the overall viewing experience? Background music has the power to set the tone, create an emotional connection, and captivate the audience. Whether it’s a catchy tune accompanying an entertaining vlog, a subtle instrumental piece underscoring a heartfelt moment, or an energetic beat amplifying an action-packed scene, the right background music can elevate the impact of the video.
As a content creator or video editor, selecting the perfect background music for your YouTube videos is crucial. It not only helps convey the intended message but also keeps viewers engaged and entertained. However, finding the right music that fits your video while staying within the bounds of copyright laws can be a daunting task.
In this article, we will explore various methods and resources for finding high-quality background music for your YouTube videos. We will discuss the importance of understanding copyright laws and licenses, and explore options such as Creative Commons music, the YouTube Audio Library, royalty-free music websites, and music licensing platforms. Additionally, we will provide some tips to help you choose the right background music that complements your content and enhances the viewer’s experience.
Photo by John Doe on Unsplash
Importance of Background Music in YouTube Videos
Background music plays a crucial role in YouTube videos, as it adds depth and emotion to the visual content. It has the power to capture the viewers’ attention, evoke certain moods, and create a memorable experience. Here are a few key reasons why background music is important in YouTube videos:
- Setting the Tone: Background music sets the overall tone of the video, whether it’s upbeat and energetic, calming and serene, or suspenseful and dramatic. It helps to establish the intended atmosphere and guide the viewers’ emotions throughout the video.
- Enhancing the Narrative: Just like in movies, background music in YouTube videos can enhance the storytelling. It can emphasize the key moments, highlight emotions, and help convey the intended message or story arc. The right music can make the viewers feel more connected to the content.
- Keeping the Audience Engaged: Background music helps to maintain the viewers’ interest and prevent them from losing attention. It adds an additional layer of entertainment and stimulation that keeps the audience engaged throughout the video’s duration.
- Creating Brand Identity: Consistent use of specific background music can help create a recognizable brand identity for your YouTube channel. When viewers hear that particular music, they can associate it with your content, helping to build brand recognition and loyalty.
- Adding Production Value: High-quality background music can add a sense of professionalism to your videos, enhancing the overall production value. It can make your content appear more polished and well-crafted, leaving a lasting impression on your viewers.
However, it is important to strike the right balance with background music. It should never overpower the main audio or dialogues in the video, as it might distract or confuse the viewers. The music should complement the content rather than overshadowing it.
Now that we understand the importance of background music in YouTube videos, let’s explore the different options available for finding the perfect music while navigating copyright laws and licenses.
Understanding Copyright Laws and Licenses
When using background music in your YouTube videos, it is crucial to have a clear understanding of copyright laws and licenses to avoid any legal issues and copyright infringements.
Copyright is a legal protection granted to the original creators of various forms of intellectual property, including music. This means that using copyrighted music without obtaining proper permission or a license can result in copyright infringement and potential legal consequences.
There are different types of licenses available for using music in YouTube videos:
- Public Domain: Public domain music refers to works that are not protected by copyright law, either because the copyright has expired or the creator has voluntarily released their work into the public domain. Public domain music can be used freely without the need for obtaining permissions or licenses.
- Creative Commons: Creative Commons licenses provide a way for creators to grant permission for others to use their work under certain conditions. These licenses vary in terms of usage restrictions, such as requiring attribution or prohibiting commercial use. It is important to review the specific details of the Creative Commons license to ensure compliance.
- Royalty-Free: Royalty-free music refers to music that is licensed for a one-time fee or a flat rate. Once you purchase a royalty-free license, you can use the music in your YouTube videos without any additional payments or royalties. However, it is important to note that “royalty-free” does not mean the music is free of copyright. You still need to obtain the appropriate license.
- Licensed Music: Licensed music requires obtaining permission directly from the rights holder, such as the artist, record label, or music publisher. This typically involves negotiating a license agreement and paying royalties or licensing fees based on factors like usage, duration, and audience size.
By understanding and respecting copyright laws and licenses, you can ensure that your YouTube videos comply with legal standards, avoiding potential copyright claims, strikes, or takedowns by copyright holders or YouTube itself. This will provide peace of mind and allow you to focus on creating great content.
Now that we have a basic understanding of copyright laws and licenses, let’s explore some of the options available for finding background music for your YouTube videos.
Creative Commons Music
Creative Commons (CC) music is a valuable resource for finding background music for your YouTube videos. Creative Commons licenses allow creators to share their work with certain permissions, giving you the opportunity to use their music in your videos without infringing on their copyright.
There are different types of Creative Commons licenses that you should be aware of:
- CC0 (Public Domain): CC0 is the most permissive Creative Commons license. Music released under the CC0 license can be used freely, even for commercial purposes, without the need for attribution or permission from the creator.
- CC BY: CC BY (Attribution) is a license that allows you to use the music in your videos as long as you give credit to the original creator. This typically involves providing a link to the music or including the creator’s name in the video description.
- CC BY-SA: CC BY-SA (Attribution-ShareAlike) is a license similar to CC BY but also requires you to share your video under the same license. This means that if you use music with a CC BY-SA license, your video must also be released under a CC BY-SA license.
- CC BY-NC: CC BY-NC (Attribution-NonCommercial) allows you to use the music in your non-commercial videos, but you cannot use it for commercial purposes without obtaining separate permission from the creator.
To find Creative Commons music for your YouTube videos, you can explore platforms such as:
- Free Music Archive: Offers a wide range of CC-licensed music across various genres.
- Jamendo: Provides a vast library of CC-licensed music from independent artists.
- ccMixter: Offers a collection of music with remix-friendly Creative Commons licenses.
Remember to review the specific terms and conditions of each Creative Commons license to ensure compliance. While CC-licensed music allows you to use the music in your videos for free, it is essential to respect the rights of the original creators by properly attributing them and following the license requirements.
Next, let’s explore the YouTube Audio Library, where you can find a variety of background music for your YouTube videos.
YouTube Audio Library
The YouTube Audio Library is a valuable resource for finding background music for your YouTube videos. It provides a vast collection of high-quality music tracks and sound effects that you can use in your videos free of charge.
Here are some key features of the YouTube Audio Library:
- Wide Selection: The YouTube Audio Library offers a wide range of music genres and styles, catering to various video themes and moods. You can find everything from upbeat and energetic tracks to calming and atmospheric compositions.
- Easy Accessibility: The YouTube Audio Library is directly integrated into the YouTube platform, making it extremely convenient to access and use. You don’t need to visit external websites or search for music separately.
- Filtering and Sorting: The library allows you to filter and sort music tracks based on genre, mood, instrument, duration, and attribution requirements. This makes it easier to find the perfect background music that matches your video’s theme and tone.
- Attribution Options: Most of the music in the YouTube Audio Library is available under the Creative Commons Attribution license (CC BY). This means you must give credit to the original artist in your video’s description, but you can use the music for free.
- Sound Effects: In addition to music tracks, the YouTube Audio Library also offers a collection of sound effects that you can use to enhance your videos. These sound effects can add realism, depth, and excitement to your content.
To access the YouTube Audio Library, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your YouTube account
- Go to your Creator Studio
- Click on “Create” in the left sidebar
- Select “Audio Library” from the dropdown menu
Ensure that you read and understand the specific attribution requirements for each music track in the YouTube Audio Library. Properly attributing the music you use is not only a legal requirement but also a way to give credit to the talented artists who contribute to the library.
Now that you know about the YouTube Audio Library, let’s explore other options for finding background music for your YouTube videos, such as royalty-free music websites.
Royalty-Free Music Websites
Royalty-free music websites are excellent sources for finding background music for your YouTube videos. These websites offer a wide variety of music tracks that you can use in your videos without the need for additional permissions or royalties.
Here are some popular royalty-free music websites:
- AudioJungle: AudioJungle is a marketplace where you can find a vast collection of royalty-free music tracks, sound effects, and audio assets. It offers a wide range of genres and styles, allowing you to easily find the perfect background music for your YouTube videos.
- Pond5: Pond5 is another popular platform that offers a vast library of royalty-free music tracks. Their collection includes a diverse range of genres, making it easy to find music that suits your video’s theme and atmosphere.
- Epidemic Sound: Epidemic Sound is a subscription-based platform that offers a vast library of high-quality royalty-free music tracks. Their extensive collection is constantly updated, ensuring a fresh selection of music for your videos.
- Incompetech: Incompetech, created by musician Kevin MacLeod, provides a wide range of royalty-free music tracks that are free to use with proper attribution. It offers various genres and styles, making it suitable for a variety of video themes.
- Artlist: Artlist is a subscription-based platform that offers a curated collection of royalty-free music tracks. They provide high-quality music across different genres, and their licensing allows you to use the music in perpetuity even after canceling the subscription.
When using royalty-free music from these websites, make sure to review the licensing terms and conditions. Some tracks may require attribution, while others may have specific limitations on usage or require additional licenses for commercial purposes.
One advantage of using royalty-free music from these websites is that it often comes with a clear and straightforward licensing agreement, providing you with peace of mind and legal protection.
Now that we have explored royalty-free music websites, let’s discuss music licensing platforms, which can provide you with a wide range of licensed and high-quality music options for your YouTube videos.
Music Licensing Platforms
If you’re looking for a vast selection of professionally composed and licensed music for your YouTube videos, music licensing platforms are excellent options. These platforms offer a wide range of high-quality music tracks that you can use legally in your videos by obtaining the appropriate licenses.
Here are some popular music licensing platforms:
- Soundstripe: Soundstripe is a subscription-based platform that provides unlimited access to their extensive library of licensed music tracks. They offer a diverse range of genres and styles, making it easy to find the perfect background music for your YouTube videos.
- PremiumBeat: PremiumBeat, part of the Shutterstock family, offers a carefully curated collection of royalty-free music tracks. Their library features music from talented composers, and their intuitive search functionality enables easy navigation and discovery of suitable tracks.
- Musicbed: Musicbed is a licensing platform that offers a vast selection of handpicked music tracks from independent artists and composers. They focus on providing high-quality music for creative projects, and their diverse catalog offers a wide range of genres and moods.
- Audioblocks: Audioblocks is a subscription-based platform that provides access to their extensive library of royalty-free music tracks, sound effects, and loops. Their diverse collection caters to various video themes and styles, allowing you to find the right music for your YouTube videos.
When using music from these licensing platforms, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the specific licensing terms and conditions. Each track may have its own usage restrictions, and you will likely need to obtain the appropriate license based on your video’s intended purpose and distribution.
Music licensing platforms offer a wide range of music options, including tracks produced by professional composers and artists. This ensures that your YouTube videos have the highest quality music that complements your content and enhances the overall viewer experience.
Now that we have explored various options for finding background music for your YouTube videos, let’s discuss some tips to help you choose the right music that resonates with your content and engages your audience.
Tips for Choosing the Right Background Music
Choosing the right background music for your YouTube videos is essential to create the desired impact and engage your viewers. Here are some helpful tips to consider when selecting the perfect music:
- Understand your video’s tone and message: Consider the overall tone and message of your video. Is it upbeat and energetic, or calm and introspective? Choose a music track that aligns with the mood and atmosphere you want to convey.
- Consider the pacing and editing of your video: Pay attention to the pacing and editing of your video. The music should complement the flow and timing of your visuals, enhancing the impact and creating a seamless viewing experience.
- Think about your target audience: Consider your target audience and their preferences. Research the type of music that resonates with them and choose tracks that will appeal to their tastes, ensuring they stay engaged throughout the video.
- Avoid copyrighted music: Unless you have obtained the necessary permissions or licenses, it is essential to avoid using copyrighted music in your videos to avoid potential copyright infringements and legal issues. Stick to royalty-free music, Creative Commons music, or licensed music from reputable sources.
- Match the music to the pacing and content of your video: The tempo and energy level of the music should match the pacing and content of your video. For fast-paced action scenes, consider using upbeat and energetic tracks, while slow and melodic tracks work well for emotional or contemplative moments.
- Avoid overpowering the main audio: Ensure that the background music does not overpower the main audio, such as dialogue or narration. The music should enhance the video without distracting or overshadowing the main content.
- Consider the length of your video: Take into account the duration of your video when selecting background music. Ensure that the track is long enough to cover the entire video or that it seamlessly loops if needed.
- Experiment and be creative: Don’t be afraid to experiment and think creatively when choosing background music. Sometimes, unexpected or unique choices can create a memorable and engaging experience for your viewers.
Remember, the right background music can greatly enhance the impact of your YouTube videos. By considering these tips and choosing music that aligns with your content and resonates with your audience, you can create a more immersive and captivating viewing experience.
Next, let’s conclude our discussion on finding background music for YouTube videos.
Choosing the right background music for your YouTube videos is crucial in creating a captivating and engaging experience for your viewers. Throughout this article, we have explored various methods and resources for finding high-quality background music while navigating copyright laws and licenses.
We discussed the importance of background music in YouTube videos, including setting the tone, enhancing the narrative, and keeping the audience engaged. We also emphasized the need to understand copyright laws and licenses to avoid legal issues and copyright infringements.
We explored different options for finding background music, such as Creative Commons music, the YouTube Audio Library, royalty-free music websites, and music licensing platforms. Each option offers its own benefits and allows you to access a diverse range of music tracks suitable for your videos.
We also provided tips for selecting the right background music, including considering the tone and message of your video, matching the music to the pacing and content, and avoiding copyrighted music without proper licenses. These tips will help you create a more immersive and impactful experience for your viewers.
Remember to always read and understand the licensing agreements and attribution requirements for the music you use. Properly crediting the artists is not only necessary for legal compliance but also a way to appreciate their work.
By incorporating the right background music into your YouTube videos, you can enhance the storytelling, create a memorable viewing experience, and establish a unique brand identity. So, take the time to explore the various resources available and choose the perfect background music that complements your content.
Now that you have a deeper understanding of how to find background music for your YouTube videos, it’s time to get creative and make your videos stand out with the power of music.