How To Get A Music Video On Vevo
Published: November 18, 2023
Learn how to get your music video on Vevo, the ultimate platform for music videos. Increase your visibility and reach a larger audience with Vevo.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for AudioLover.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
With the rise of digital platforms and streaming services, music videos have become a vital component of an artist’s success. While platforms like YouTube have long dominated the online music video landscape, Vevo stands out as a specialized hub dedicated solely to music videos. As an artist or a label, getting your music video on Vevo can significantly boost your visibility and reach a broader audience.
Vivo is a multinational video hosting service that primarily focuses on music-related content. Launched in 2009 as a joint venture between major record labels, including Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, and Abu Dhabi Media, Vevo quickly became the go-to platform for music video consumption. Today, it boasts an extensive catalog of music videos from both established and emerging artists across various genres.
In this article, we will explore the benefits of having a music video on Vevo, the requirements for getting your video on the platform, and the process of submitting and promoting it. Whether you are an up-and-coming artist or an established musician looking to expand your reach, Vevo should be an essential part of your music video strategy.
What is Vevo?
Vevo is a digital music video platform that provides artists and labels with a dedicated space to showcase their music videos. It offers a curated selection of high-quality music videos, making it a go-to destination for music enthusiasts. Established as a joint venture between major record labels, Vevo has become a household name in the music industry, attracting millions of viewers worldwide.
One of the main features that sets Vevo apart from other video platforms is its exclusive focus on music content. While platforms like YouTube host a wide range of videos, Vevo is specifically designed for music videos. This targeted approach allows Vevo to provide a more immersive and tailored experience for music lovers.
Vevo partners with artists and labels to distribute and promote their music videos on its platform. By collaborating with major record labels like Universal Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment, Vevo can offer a vast selection of music videos from a diverse range of genres and artists. From chart-topping hits to underground sensations, Vevo’s catalog has something for every music lover.
The platform also offers additional features to enhance the music video viewing experience. Users can explore artist channels to discover more content from their favorite musicians, access behind-the-scenes footage, and watch live performances and exclusive interviews. Vevo’s interface is user-friendly and visually appealing, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable browsing experience.
Vevo’s presence extends beyond its website. The platform partners with various digital platforms, including YouTube, to amplify the reach of its music videos. This means that when a music video is uploaded to Vevo, it can also be found and played on partner platforms, further expanding the video’s exposure and potential audience.
Overall, Vevo offers a dedicated and specialized environment for music videos, making it an essential platform for artists and labels to showcase their artistry and connect with music enthusiasts globally. By leveraging Vevo’s reach and curated content, artists can gain more visibility and strengthen their presence in the music industry.
Benefits of having a music video on Vevo
Having your music video on Vevo can offer a wide range of benefits, allowing you to reach a larger audience and enhance your music career. Here are some of the key advantages of having a music video on Vevo:
- Increased Exposure: Vevo has a massive audience of music enthusiasts who specifically visit the platform to watch music videos. By having your video on Vevo, you can tap into this existing user base and gain exposure to a larger audience who are already interested in music content.
- Higher Credibility: Vevo is strongly associated with well-established record labels and artists, giving artists and their music videos a boost in credibility. Being featured on Vevo can signal to music industry professionals, fans, and potential collaborators that you are serious about your craft.
- Discoverability: Vevo’s platform is designed to help users discover new music videos. Through its personalized recommendations and curated playlists, your music video has the potential to be discovered by users who may not have been aware of your music before. This can lead to increased streams, fans, and opportunities.
- Monetization: Vevo provides opportunities for artists and labels to generate revenue from their music videos. Through advertising and partnerships, Vevo shares revenue with content creators, allowing them to earn money from their videos. This can be a valuable source of income for artists looking to monetize their music videos.
- Global Reach: Vevo has a global presence and a diverse user base. By having your music video on the platform, you can reach audiences not only in your own country, but across the world. This can help you expand your fanbase and gain international recognition as an artist.
- Data and Analytics: Vevo provides valuable insights and data about your music video’s performance. You can access metrics such as views, engagement, and demographics, allowing you to understand your audience better and make informed decisions regarding your music and marketing strategies.
Overall, having your music video on Vevo opens up opportunities for exposure, credibility, monetization, and fan engagement. It provides you with a dedicated platform focused on music videos, allowing you to connect with a larger and more targeted audience. With these benefits in mind, getting your music video on Vevo should be a priority for any artist or label looking to elevate their music career to the next level.
Requirements for getting a music video on Vevo
While getting your music video on Vevo can be a highly beneficial move for your music career, there are certain requirements that need to be met. Vevo maintains a level of quality and professionalism across its platform, and it is important to ensure that your music video meets these standards. Here are the key requirements for getting your music video on Vevo:
- Ownership and Licensing: To have your music video on Vevo, you must own the rights to the video content and have the necessary licensing agreements in place. If you are signed to a record label, they may handle these rights and licensing on your behalf.
- High-Quality Video: Vevo expects music videos to be of high quality in terms of production value, visual aesthetics, and technical specifications. The video should be professionally shot and edited, with clear visuals, crisp audio, and overall high production standards. It is important to invest in professional video production to meet these requirements.
- Original Content: Vevo only accepts original music videos. The content should not infringe on copyright or contain unauthorized samples or plagiarized material. The music video should showcase your unique artistry and creativity.
- Compliance with Guidelines: Vevo has specific content guidelines that need to be followed. The video should not contain explicit or offensive material, illegal activities, or any content that may infringe upon the rights or sensitivities of others. It is essential to review and adhere to Vevo’s content guidelines to ensure your video meets their standards.
- Proper Metadata and Information: When submitting your music video to Vevo, you will need to provide accurate and detailed metadata, including the artist name, song title, album information, and relevant genre tags. This information helps Vevo categorize and present your music video accurately to its users.
- Clearances and Permissions: If your music video features any third-party content, such as footage from other sources or appearances by individuals who require consent, you must ensure you have obtained the necessary clearances and permissions. This includes any copyrighted material, trademarks, or recognizable individuals.
Meeting these requirements ensures that your music video aligns with Vevo’s standards and maintains the quality and professionalism expected on the platform. It is essential to review these requirements thoroughly and address any necessary steps, such as licensing or video production, before submitting your music video to Vevo. By doing so, you increase the chances of your music video being accepted and reaching a wider audience through the Vevo platform.
Creating a High-Quality Music Video
When it comes to getting your music video on Vevo, creating a high-quality video is crucial. Vevo aims to provide its users with visually compelling and engaging music videos, so it’s important that your video stands out. Here are some key considerations to keep in mind when creating a high-quality music video:
- Concept and Story: Start by developing a clear concept and storyline for your music video. Think about how the visuals can enhance the message and emotions of your song. A captivating story or narrative can help leave a lasting impact on viewers and make your video more memorable.
- Professional Production: Invest in professional video production to ensure your music video meets industry standards. This includes hiring a skilled director, cinematographer, and production team who have experience in producing music videos. They can help you achieve the desired visual quality and bring your creative vision to life.
- Location and Set Design: Choose visually interesting locations or create eye-catching set designs that complement the mood and theme of your song. The right location or set can significantly enhance the overall aesthetic appeal of your video.
- Visual Effects and Editing: Consider incorporating visual effects or creative editing techniques to add depth and visual interest to your music video. This could include color grading, motion graphics, or visual storytelling techniques that enhance the viewing experience.
- Appropriate Costumes and Styling: The costumes and styling of the artists and performers should align with the concept of the video. Ensure that their appearance enhances the visual narrative and reflects the desired look and feel of the music.
- Engaging Performance: Pay attention to the artist’s performance in the video. Encourage them to deliver a captivating and energetic performance that resonates with the emotion and energy of the music. This will help connect with viewers and make the video more engaging.
- Collaboration and Creativity: Consider collaborating with a creative team, including the director and production crew, to brainstorm innovative and unique ideas for your music video. Embrace creativity and think outside the box to create a visually stunning and memorable video that stands out from the crowd.
Remember, a high-quality music video not only enhances your chances of being accepted on Vevo but also increases the likelihood of engaging viewers and capturing their attention. Putting effort into creating a visually appealing and compelling music video demonstrates your dedication to your craft and can help elevate your music career to new heights.
Registering an Artist or Label Account on Vevo
In order to get your music video on Vevo, you need to have an artist or label account on the platform. This allows you to manage your videos, access analytics, and engage with your audience. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to register an artist or label account on Vevo:
- Visit the Vevo Website: Start by visiting the official Vevo website (www.vevo.com).
- Click on “Sign Up”: Look for the “Sign Up” or “Register” button on the homepage or header menu, and click on it.
- Select “Artist/Label Account”: Vevo offers different account types; choose the “Artist/Label Account” option to register as an artist or label.
- Fill in the Required Information: Fill out the registration form with accurate information about yourself or your label. This may include details such as your name, email address, artist or label name, and contact information.
- Provide Additional Information: Depending on your account type, Vevo may require additional information to verify your identity or label legitimacy. This may include providing identification documents or proof of ownership.
- Submit your Application: Once you have filled in all the required information, review your application and ensure that it is accurate. Then, submit your application to Vevo for review and approval.
- Wait for Approval: Vevo will review your application and may reach out to you for additional information or clarification if needed. The approval process typically takes some time, so be patient and check your email regularly for updates from Vevo.
- Confirmation and Activation: Once your artist or label account is approved, Vevo will provide you with the necessary login credentials and instructions on how to access your dashboard. Follow these instructions to activate your account and begin managing your music videos on Vevo.
Registering an artist or label account on Vevo is an important step in getting your music video on the platform. It allows you to maintain control over your content, track its performance, and engage with your audience. By following the registration process and providing accurate information, you can establish a presence on Vevo and make the most of the platform’s features for artists and labels.
Submitting the Music Video to Vevo
After creating a high-quality music video and registering an artist or label account on Vevo, the next step is to submit your video to the platform for consideration. Here’s a guide on how to submit your music video to Vevo:
- Prepare your Video: Before submitting, ensure that your music video meets all the requirements stated by Vevo, including high production quality, original content, and compliance with guidelines. Verify that your video is encoded in a supported format, such as MP4, and meets the technical specifications provided by Vevo.
- Log in to your Vevo Account: Use the credentials provided by Vevo to log in to your artist or label account.
- Navigate to the Video Submission Page: On the dashboard or main menu of your account, locate the option to submit a video. This may be labeled as “Upload,” “Submit Video,” or something similar.
- Fill in Video Information: Enter all the necessary information about your music video, such as the title, artist name, genre, release date, and any additional notes or details you want to provide. Ensure that the information is accurate and aligns with the content of your video.
- Upload the Video: Follow the prompts to upload your music video file to Vevo. Make sure to follow any file size or duration limitations mentioned by Vevo during the submission process.
- Provide Metadata and Descriptions: Along with the video file, you will be prompted to enter metadata such as song credits, album information, and descriptions. Take the time to provide clear and comprehensive metadata that helps users understand the context and background of your music video.
- Submit and Review: Once you have filled in all the required information and uploaded your video, review the submission details carefully. Make any necessary edits or additions before finalizing the submission.
- Confirmation and Review Period: After submitting your video, you will receive a confirmation message from Vevo acknowledging the submission. Vevo will then review your video to ensure it meets their standards and guidelines.
- Approval or Feedback: Vevo will inform you of the outcome of the review process. If your video meets their criteria, it will be approved and added to the Vevo platform. If there are any concerns or necessary improvements, Vevo will provide feedback and guidance for you to address those issues.
It’s important to note that the submission and review process can take time, so it’s advisable to be patient and allow Vevo sufficient time to evaluate your video. Be sure to monitor your email and Vevo account for any communication or updates regarding your submission.
Submitting your music video to Vevo is a critical step toward reaching a wider audience and growing your music career. By following the submission guidelines and providing accurate information, you increase the chances of having your video accepted and showcased to music enthusiasts on the Vevo platform.
Vevo Approval Process
Once you have submitted your music video to Vevo, it goes through an approval process to ensure it meets the platform’s standards and guidelines. The Vevo approval process involves several stages, and it’s important to understand what happens during this process:
- Initial Review: After submitting your video, the Vevo team conducts an initial review to ensure it meets the basic requirements and technical specifications. They check for proper encoding, file format, and overall compliance with Vevo guidelines.
- Content Evaluation: During this stage, Vevo carefully evaluates the content of your music video. They look for originality, artistic quality, and adherence to their content guidelines. They assess factors such as the visual appeal, production value, storytelling, and how well the video aligns with the song.
- Copyright and Licensing: Vevo checks for any potential copyright or licensing issues with the music video. They ensure that you have the legal rights to use the music and any other materials featured in the video. This step is essential to protect the rights of artists and prevent any copyright infringement on the platform.
- Quality Control: Vevo maintains high-quality standards across its platform, and during this stage, they assess the technical quality of your video. They review factors like picture and sound quality, resolution, editing, and overall production value. If any issues are identified, Vevo may provide feedback for you to address and improve the quality of your video.
- Compliance Check: Vevo evaluates your music video to ensure that it complies with their guidelines and terms of service. They look for any explicit or offensive content, misleading information, or violations of their policies. If your video does not meet their standards, they may suggest modifications or provide guidance for you to make the necessary changes.
- Approval or Feedback: Once the review process is complete, Vevo will communicate the outcome to you. If your video meets all the criteria and passes the review, it will be approved for inclusion on the Vevo platform. You will receive confirmation and instructions on how to proceed further. If there are any concerns or changes required, Vevo may provide feedback and guidance on how to address the issues and resubmit the video.
- Publication: Once your music video is approved, Vevo will publish it on their platform, making it available for users around the world to discover, watch, and share. Your video will be added to the Vevo catalog, and you will have access to its performance analytics and promotional opportunities.
The Vevo approval process ensures that the platform maintains a high standard of quality and content consistency. It also aims to protect the rights of artists and copyright holders. While the review process may take time, it’s essential to be patient and follow any instructions or feedback provided by Vevo to increase your chances of getting your music video approved.
Remember that the approval process is intended to ensure that the content on Vevo meets the expectations of both viewers and creators. By complying with Vevo’s guidelines and creating high-quality music videos, you can maximize your chances of successfully navigating the approval process and showcasing your talent to a global audience.
Promoting the Music Video on Vevo
Getting your music video on Vevo is just the beginning. To maximize its reach and impact, you need to actively promote your video on the platform. Here are some effective strategies for promoting your music video on Vevo:
- Share on Social Media: Utilize your social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube, to share the link to your music video on Vevo. Encourage your fans and followers to watch, like, and share the video to increase its visibility and reach a wider audience.
- Update Your YouTube Channel: If you have a YouTube channel, add your Vevo music video to your channel’s video library. This allows your existing audience on YouTube to easily discover and watch your music video while also directing them to your Vevo channel for more content.
- Collaborate with Influencers: Seek out influencers or content creators in your genre who have a significant following on platforms like YouTube or TikTok. Collaborating with them to promote your music video can expose it to their established fanbase, generating more views and engagement.
- Engage with Your Audience: Respond to comments and messages from viewers on the Vevo platform. Engaging with your audience helps build rapport, cultivate a loyal fanbase, and encourage them to share your music video with others.
- Create Behind-the-Scenes Content: Offer a glimpse into the making of your music video by creating and sharing behind-the-scenes footage or interviews. This additional content can generate excitement and intrigue, encouraging more viewers to watch the full music video on Vevo.
- Collaborate with Vevo Playlists: Vevo has a variety of curated playlists for different genres and moods. Contact Vevo to inquire about the possibility of having your music video featured on one of their playlists. This can enhance your video’s visibility and attract new viewers.
- Promote on Your Website or Blog: If you have a personal website or blog, create a dedicated page or blog post to promote and embed your Vevo music video. This allows your website visitors to easily access and watch your video.
- Consider Vevo Advertising: Vevo offers advertising opportunities to help promote your music video to a larger audience. You can explore options like pre-roll ads or sponsored placements to increase exposure and reach more viewers on the platform.
- Collaborate with Other Artists: Reach out to other artists or bands in your genre for potential collaborations. By featuring each other’s music videos on your respective Vevo channels, you can tap into each other’s fanbases and gain exposure to new audiences.
- Announce the Release to Your Email List: If you have an email list or newsletter, inform your subscribers about the release of your music video on Vevo. Provide them with a direct link and encourage them to watch and share it with their friends and networks.
Remember, consistent and targeted promotion is crucial for the success of your music video on Vevo. By actively engaging with your audience, leveraging social media, collaborating with influencers, and exploring advertising opportunities, you can significantly increase the visibility and reach of your music video on the platform.
Keep in mind that building an audience and gaining traction takes time and effort. Stay dedicated, promote your music video consistently, and continue creating high-quality content to establish a strong presence on Vevo and further your music career.
Getting your music video on Vevo is a valuable opportunity to showcase your talent, reach a wider audience, and amplify your music career. Vevo provides a specialized platform dedicated to music videos, offering numerous benefits for artists and labels. By meeting the requirements, creating a high-quality video, and following the submission process, you can increase your chances of getting your music video approved on Vevo.
Once your video is on Vevo, it’s important to actively promote it to maximize its visibility and engagement. Leverage social media, collaborate with influencers, engage with your audience, and explore advertising opportunities to increase the reach of your video. Remember to maintain a consistent presence and continue creating compelling content to grow your fanbase on Vevo.
Vevo’s curated environment, global reach, and potential for monetization make it a must-have platform for artists and labels. Embrace the power of Vevo to establish credibility, generate revenue, and forge connections in the music industry.
However, it’s crucial to balance your Vevo presence with other digital platforms to ensure a diverse and comprehensive online presence. YouTube, for example, continues to be a major player in the music video landscape, and using both Vevo and YouTube can expand your reach even further.
Remember, success on Vevo requires not only the inclusion of your music video but also active engagement with your audience, consistent promotion efforts, and a commitment to creating captivating content. By leveraging the platform effectively, you can elevate your music career and maximize your impact in the industry.